If you’re in western Carolina and looking for an authentic, small town experience – we recommend a day in Dillsboro. This beautiful small town sits just west of Sylva, and is close to attractions such as the Smoky Mountain Parkway, Waynesville, and the well known ‘bigger’ city hub, Asheville. The village lies along the banks of the Tuckasegee River and is host to quaint shops lining the streets appearing untouched since their 1800’s inception.
Here are a few of our favorite Dillsboro spots. Find a place to park and spend the afternoon strolling the rustic town and enjoying its unique and picturesque ambiance. When it comes to small towns, Dillsboro is truly a gem.
Grab a sweet treat and a coffee at the Dillsboro Chocolate Factory next time you’re in the area.
What we love about the Dillsboro Chocolate Factory:
1. Variety – lots of chocolate (obviously) and other assorted candy pieces for those who aren’t as in love with chocolate as us.
2. Sugar free options – Still many options of goodness for those who do not/cannot eat sugar.
3. Something for the little ones (or diet restrictions) – enjoy a few small bite sized pieces of goodness.
4. Coffee shop connected – you can pair your cacao delight with a cuppa-joe if it fancies you.
Make some time to stop by and support local artisans at the Dogwood Crafters boutique where there is something for everyone.
What we love about Dogwood Crafters:
1. Supporting local artists from all over the region!
2. A bit for everyone – jewelry, ornaments, clothing & textiles, greeting cards,
photography, jams and jellies and other hand-made goods for just about every holiday & gift you can think of.
3. Unique – whatever you buy will most likely be an original.
4. Price point variety – beautiful treasures at different costs give every shopper the opportunity to find something good while supporting local.
Eat lunch at Haywood Smokehouse – bring your appetite for some southern goodness!
What we love about Haywood Smokehouse:
1. Easy going – no dress attire needed. Be comfy and enjoy the relaxed environment – and… the TV’s always on if you want to watch the game while you’re there.
2. Friendly and fast service –Make it a leisurely meal or be in and out relatively quickly. To-go options also available.
3. The food itself – high quality, no hormones, no steroids and many options ranging from brisket, chicken, turkey and ribs. And if you don’t eat meat you can order a few (delicious) sides. Either way, we promise, you’ll be satisfied.
4. Family style – they offer family sized servings on the menu if you have a larger party, or simply want to take home leftovers.
If you love pottery like we do, this might be your favorite stop.
Check out Treehouse Pottery to see stunning pieces by Travis Berning and Joe Frank McKee.
What we love about Tree House Pottery:
1. Statement or Functional – there’s sure to be something for everyone whether you are looking for dinnerware or a statement piece.
2. Use of nature and beauty of each piece – all items are exquisite and one of the artists uses (real!) leaves in the pottery making process. Each piece is unique.
3. See them in action – you can typically see ‘something’ in the making, which adds some fun to the experience, especially for kids.
4. Shipping options – don’t worry; when you buy the full set of dinnerware – they’ll ship it to you!
**You can see work by both artists at The Aerie, a local Altez Vacations private accommodation**
We hope you enjoy these small town hot spot recommendations, the gentle ambiance and shop variety in Dillsboro, and all the beauty that’s present in the NC Smoky Mountains.
Check out Visit Dillsboro for more information.
*Stay tuned for our upcoming blogs on Sylva NC hot spots, Asheville NC Breweries, and Palm Springs CA desert lifestyle. It’s a big world out there – much to explore!